Sea Pearls are completely natural sea sponges that come from the ocean. Jade & Pearl provide a great deal of care to every single sponge they send out. Each Sea Pearl is washed, inspected, trimmed, and packaged by their expert sponge squad. The detailed care that goes into each sponge ensures that they continue providing the same high quality sea sponges that they have offered to the women of the world for the past 40 years.
Sea Pearls are:
- soft, & durable
- a naturally renewable resource
- sustainably harvested
- free of chemicals, bleach, chlorine, fragrance, dyes or synthetic materials
- reusable for up to 3-6 months or more
Size: Medium (2 - 2.5")
About sea sponges:
what are they?
Sea sponges are plant-like organisms that grow in colonies in the ocean. They are the simplest multi-cellular creatures in the animal kingdom.
what makes them sustainable?
Sea sponges are a naturally renewable resource as they have the ability to regenerate from fragments left from the original sponge. When sponges are harvested, divers cut them so the base of the sponge remains intact. This ensures that the sponge has the ability to regenerate and regrow so it can be harvested again and again. Sea sponges also reproduce during the harvesting process by releasing millions of egg and sperm cells into the surrounding waters. Due to the filtration function of a sea sponge, sponge colonies are not able to thrive in polluted waters.
how are sea sponges harvested?
Sponges are harvested by hand-cutting the sponge or by hooking. Cutting the sponge and leaving the base intact is the best and most commonly used method as it encourages a speedier regrowth. To prevent excessive harvesting in one sponge bed, all sponges harvested must have a minimum diameter of 5 inches. Sponge harvesting is also strictly prohibited in protected marine sanctuaries and coral reefs.
Sea Pearls Reusable Sea Sponge Tampons (Medium 2pk)
Sponges can be delicate so great care should be taken when cleaning and using them. If cared for properly, sponges can last up to 3-6 months or more.
1. Use a natural chemical-free soap or soak for 5-10 minutes in a cup of warm water with one of the following:
- 2-3 drops tea tree oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp baking soda (helps restore volume and density)
- 1 tsp hydrogen peroxide (helps eliminate discoloration)
2. Rinse sponge and squeeze out excess water
Do not boil your sponge! Boiling shrinks and toughens sea sponges. Do not use harsh soaps or chemicals! Do not soak your sponges longer than the recommended time as it could cause the sponge to deteriorate faster.
how often should sponges be cleaned?
Sea Pearls can be rinsed and reused multiple times and do not need to be sanitized after each use. We recommend that you clean your sponge:
- Prior to use for the first time
- Once daily or every other day
- If the sponge develops an unpleasant odor
- Prior to storing
Sponges should be completely dry before storage!
how to trim a sponge
- Sponges are easiest to trim when dry but can also be carefully trimmed when wet
- Do not cut the sponge in half as Sea Pearls are trimmed to a specific shape
- With scissors, trim around the perimeter of the sponge, a little at a time until you reach the desired size.
If the surface of your sponge starts to become ragged, do not rip or tear the sponge. Instead, trim the loose pieces off with scissors until the surface is smooth. This will extend the lifetime of your sponge.